Naomi was a working class fighter, a socialist who dedicated her life to supporting the Palestinians and opposing Zionism
I first met Naomi in January 2024 when I toured Scotland at
the invitation of Scottish PSC. I stayed with Naomi in Glasgow on both the
outward and return leg of my tour.
Naomi welcomed me into her home and made me feel part of her
family as we talked, relaxed and ate.
I remember staying in her attic, which could only be reached by climbing up a ladder. I felt at the time as if I was taking my life in my hands climbing it. But apart from that the warmth of the welcome which I received more than outweighed the risk I was taking!
Naomi was a larger than life person despite her diminutive
size with a booming voice. As the tributes to her from her many friends and
admirers make clear she had a heart of gold.
She was in Jewish Network for Palestine and was our Scottish
representative. We kept in touch and every month she would contact me for a donation
for the Younis family in Gaza who depended on the money she raised. I hope that efforts
can be made to ensure that they are not left to suffer
as a result of Naomi’s passing.
Farida and Naomi Go to Edinburgh
Naomi was also an active
trade unionist and was a delegate from her branch to the last UNISON
conference. Quite disgracefully she was removed from the National Conference in
Brighton because she wore a red triangle in her hat.
Some Zionists complained that the red triangle meant she was
a supporter of the Palestinian resistance movement, Hamas, and of course UNISON’s
officialdom took the word of the genocide supporters in the union at their
word. They also began disciplinary proceedings against Naomi.
She signed off that ‘They
are beyond unprofessional’ which just about sums up UNISON’s full-timers who a
few years ago also suspended me for 3 years for having criticised a scab official,
Steve Terry.
My last conversation with Naomi was on Thursday 3
September, just two days before she passed away. She told me she had had a
vivid dream about me decorating her home. I was sure that she had mistaken me
for someone else as decorating is the last thing I would attempt!
Naomi's last message to me on 3rd September - she'd had a vivid dream about me - imagining I was going to decorate her home!
Naomi was widely respected and admired within the Palestine solidarity movement and below I post a number of tributes by those she worked with.
We
have lost a fierce, determined, sometimes angry friend. Humanity has lost a
bright burning light, a sharp intellect, hopeful, keeping despair beyond
reach, by action. Passionate about the futures possible, for peace, for our
planet, for palestine and its people.
We
wont see her fiery filskit eyes, not her mischievous grin, or hear her earthy
laugh again , but the memory of her will live on. Naomi would share her
resilience in the face of the abominable crimes committed.
My
memories of many marches, sharing simple pleasures, appreciating a shwarma, the
restorative boost of a walk with her dog, enjoying the clouds, the wind or the
sea.
Howard
Zinn describes the kind of hope i saw in Naomi in the face of the horrors
of this barbaric genocide.
"To
be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact
that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion,
sacrifice, courage and kindness. What we choose to emphasise in this
complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys
our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places, and there
are so many, where people have behaved magnificently this gives us the energy
to act and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in
a different direction. And, if we do act, in however small a way, we dont have
to wait for some utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of
presents, and, to live now, as we think human beings should live, in defiance
of all that is bad around us, is in itself, a marvellous victory. "
Naomi
gave so much of herself, she was magnificent and the world is a much much
poorer place without her.
Thank
you
Ann
Davis
Tony
just seen your
message in the chat. I still cant take it in, as I was speaking to her last
Saturday.
By way of background I
believe I have known Naomi for about 30 years after local government
reorganisation and started working for Glasgow City Council, and became active
in UNISON.
She was a regular
correspondent when I had the privilege of being her MP from 2015 to 2024,
regularly on Palestine, and attended fundraisers when I could.
My former
Constituency Office staff remember her fondly, and were very sad at her
passing.
When thinking of her,
the following words ring out. Formidable, Campaigner, Activist, Kindness.
I look forward to
reading your blog.
best wishes
Chris Stephens
I met Naomi at Jordanhill College in 1985 when we were both students on the Youth and Community(Adult Education) course. Naomi was very much her own person then and that never changed. She was fearless and informed. Naomi was someone who wanted a fairer world and worked selflessly to raise awareness
of the genocide and apartheid being carried out in Gaza and to establish practical support for anyone caught up in this.
Naomi was my friend. I will miss her. A brave individual whose moral compass should be an inspiration to us all.
James Allan
Always
so supportive of SACC and a great speaker for Palestine! Sincere condolences to
all her family and friends
Julia Davidson
As a
member of the board of trustees of the scottish network of Photographers for
Palestine I am very sad about the loss of the member of the NPP. Naomi and me
were working together about years and I will miss her strong voice, her power
and herself in the board of trustees. Dear Naomi- may you rest in peace ![]()
The
scottish Palestine solidarity wrote:
We have
truly lost a strong voice & one of the heartbeats of the movement against
the Genocide. Naomi Junnor was not only a passionate voice but a woman with
love & compassion for all & who gave of herself at every moment. Her
laughter, humour, passion for justice & true kindness will be dearly
missed.
My
condolences to your family.
Rest in
Power & Peace always my friend.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Knowing
Naomi I can only but smile knowing she’ll continue giving the Zio’s hell, so
their peace will never continue. Love you Naomi. ![]()
“
You will be truly missed
All
respect ursella and naomi
So very sad to hear of the passing of Naomi Junnor. Naomi’s passion for justice for the Palestinians was inspirational. We’ve lost a friend indeed.
by author
Great
lady she angel up there with hashem.god bless you sister
Younis Al Jakhbeer
Naomi . A woman with a beautiful, big heart—the Scottish woman who stood by, helped, and championed the Palestinian cause for decades. A woman who dedicated her life to upholding justice and did everything necessary to support the cause of Palestine and its women and children. Rest in peace, beautiful soul.
Very sad news and a shock. I was chatting to her on Monday. Rest in Peace Naomi.
Heartbroken. We sat with her last Monday at the
screening of Living Proof.”
She was a force of nature with a heart of gold.
Palestine has lost a champion. ![]()
![]()
We will all miss you Dear Naomi .
Rest in Peace ![]()
![]()
· Reply
Oh Younis, i’m so sorry for the passing of your
dear friend Naomi. You’ve spoken of her many times to me. May her memory be a
blessing. Sending you love and a big hug and tears.
We love
you Naomi Junnor ![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
And we
will miss you with all of our hearts ![]()
![]()
Gutted
hearing this news. We will definitely miss Naomi.
She was an amazing
woman. Was proud to call her my friend. Rest in power x
Oh, no... devastated to hear this...
R.I.P. Naomi I was only speaking to her on Thursday
You will
be sadly missed Naomi. Loved your sense of humour. X
I met Naomi through Avigail’s Palestine Book Club. We exchanged phone numbers when I heard her Glaswegian accent, and we visited each other a couple of times.
We met countless times at demos, and exchanged countless messages on WhatsApp. She came to my birthday lunch last Easter at the restaurant at Mugdock garden centre and got on well with my family. She had such lovely plans to change her house to accommodate asylum seekers and refugees and those needing refuge. I spoke to Naomi on the phone a few days before she died. I can only imagine what her family is feeling.
All we can do is continue her work, in her memory, and know that she did not suffer because it looks like she died quickly. But her family and her friends are the ones suffering, as well as the Palestinian families she was supporting. They will be devastated.
Love and blessings to all who are
suffering because of her loss.
Margaret Forbes












No comments:
Post a Comment
Please submit your comments below