29 June 2022

On Sunday July 10th I shall be doing a sponsored walk for East Sussex Freedom From Torture - I ask for your support

 Last year I raised £1,132 for the victims of torture please help me raise more this year

Cuckmere Haven in East Sussex with the Seven Sisters in the background 

Last year I raised £1,132 for ESFF. Please help me raise even more this year. Freedom from Torture is part of a coalition groups who came together to successfully prevent the first deportation flight to Rwanda. It does vital work in helping refugees cope with the traumas associated with torture and that is why I am happy to do this walk each year.

My son Daniel and me

The walk takes about 3 hours and involves walking up and down 4 or 5 hills in what is known as 7 Sisters. I shall be doing it with my son, Daniel, who is autistic. Whilst I was puffing and panting as I ascended the hills Daniel, who is 32, barely had a bead of sweat! But I am happy to put myself through this in order to try and raise a similar amount of money again.

I will be travelling from what was the ancient village of Exceat (now the 7 Sisters Country Park) to East  Dean. Walking up and down 5 of the Sisters or hills with my son, Daniel.

A picture from last year's walk

Exceat was a bustling fishing village founded in Saxon times. It was sheltered from the weather by the protection of the Cuckmere Valley. The village was also said to have been one of the most important naval bases for King Alfred the Great, widely recognised as the first King of England.

Alfred was thought to have had a palace at nearby West Dean, and it is believed that Exceat served as one of his main naval bases in his wars against the Danish.

A picture from last year's walk

However, the village's glory days would be cut short in the 14th century.

Along with most of Europe, England suffered heavily when the Black Death arrived in 1347. It was the deadliest pandemic in human history, with some estimates guessing that the plague wiped out 60 per cent of Europe's population.

A picture from last year's walk

3 comments:

  1. Well done and Donation on the way ! Freedom of Torture does amazing work for asylum seekers & looking after the victims who manage to reach here .despite Patels best efforts .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the BACS payment to a Business Account?

    ReplyDelete

Please submit your comments below